Written by: Erica Ellis – Magical Tripcations Travel Planner; Photos provided by: Kimberly Evans – Magical Tripcations Travel Planner & Erica Ellis – Magical Tripcations Travel Planner
Personally, I love a good themed event or party. Do you know who takes theming to a whole other level? Disney, of course. Commitment to a theme isn’t just for the parks. You can set sail aboard Disney Cruise Line during select sailings and enjoy some amazing special themes! These special sailings are limited to certain times of the year and some onboard specific ships.
Special “Days at Sea”
Join some of Marvel’s favorite super heroes for a heroic day packed with special entertainment, meet-and-greets and special offerings for the entire family. This SUPER day is available on 5-Night Cruises from Miami to the Bahamas & Caribbean in 2020.
Here are just some of the activities offered while enjoying your Marvel Day at Sea:
- Prepare to meet and have training sessions with Spider-Man, Iron Man, and Captain America, just to name a few!
- Your family will assemble with others onboard for a nighttime spectacular deck show hosted by Tony Stark and more than a dozen of your favorite Marvel Super Heroes and Villains!
- Join Mickey and pals as they dress up as their favorite Marvel Super Heroes, perfect for younger cruisers.
- There’s loads of other activities going on during your Marvel Day at Sea, including a costume celebration, movie screenings, Marvel-themed crafts at the Kids Clubs, Marvel TV animated series on the ship’s Funnel Vision, Marvel 101, Family Trivia, and learn to draw popular Marvel Super Heroes at Animation Academy!
Experience the legendary saga on board Disney Cruise Line. Star Wars Day at Sea sailings are available on select 7-night Eastern & Western Caribbean cruises from Port Canaveral.
Here’s just some of the galactic activities and special offerings that you can enjoy:
- There are some epic encounters to enjoy! Meet Chewbacca, C-3PO, R2D2, and Darth Vader during Star Wars Photo Sessions. You can also expect some on-board run-ins with characters around the ship like Boba Fett, Jawas and First Order Stormtroopers.
- The food even gets a Star Wars makeover with special themed desserts at lunch, a Bantha Burger, and Death Star Pizza! Your entire dinner that night will be themed, who wouldn’t want a Hans Solo Frozen in Carbonite Sundae?!?Your younglings can join the Star WarsResistance Base and little rebels can join BB-8 in the Resistance as they turn up inside Disney’s Oceaneer Club!
- There are so many galactic activities to choose from during this special day! Here are some, just to name a few: Special Guest Speakers who have special first-hand Star Wars knowledge, costume celebrations, screening of all 10 films, a scavenger hunt, family trivia, drawing academy, and a little Star Wars 101 for those who are new to this universe!
- The Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique transforms into the Star Wars Boutique (open to both children & adults).
- The day is capped off with a nighttime stage show highlighting the saga’s most iconic moments, the show stars Rey and other popular characters. The night ends with a Star Wars Fireworks at Sea show, set to the John Williams Star Wars score.
**Magical Tripcations Travel Planner Tip: Be on the lookout for Sand People. You can trade items with them, but be aware, they are very particular and don’t speak! They are looking for odd trinkets to trade, so come prepared.
Holiday Themed Cruises
Set sail on the spookiest ships of all! These sailings are available on most Disney Cruise Line sailings from late September – October. There are thrills & chills all over but don’t worry, it’s Mickey, so it’s not-so-scary!
Some of the unique offerings on board these sailings include:
- Special Halloween decorations, spooky entertainment, and the lighting of the Pumpkin Halloween Tree!
- Join Mickey and his pals and trick-or-treat onboard the ship. Make sure to pack your favorite Halloween costume for everyone in your spooktacular party! Stay for Mickey’s Mouse-quarade Party for dancing, photo ops and fun games with characters and cast members.
- There are special Halloween themed activities like mask-making & pumpkin-carving. The costumes aren’t just for kids! Join the adult-only dance party that includes a costume contest.
- You’ll get to meet your favorite Disney characters in their favorite Halloween costumes, it’s magical and spooky all at once!
**Magical Tripcations Travel Planner Tip: If you’re able to, choose a sailing during an “off season” like early Fall or from a port that isn’t quite as popular. In September 2018, I sailed from Quebec City, Quebec to New York City, NY onboard Disney Magic. Not only did we get a great deal on a 7-night sailing, my then 3-year-old daughter had the time of her life interacting with so many characters, dressing up, and dancing with Flynn Ryder at dinner one night. The sailing didn’t have as many children as other sailings typically have so she got lots of cast member attention. It was also nice to leave the late September heat of Texas for 50 degree weather in Canada!
Celebrate the most magical time of the year on board the most magical ships ever! These themed cruises are available from November – December on the four Disney Ships. If you do nothing else, just take a moment to SMELL the life-sized gingerbread house!
Share in the holiday magic with your family, some onboard offerings include:
- Holiday decorations around every corner of the ship! This includes a 24-foot Christmas tree, garlands, poinsettias and of course, twinkly lights!! You don’t want to miss the lighting of Mickey’s Tree, which kicks off each sailing.
- Special character meets & greets with Disney Characters in their festive holiday attire & special meets & greets with Santa & Mrs. Claus! Mrs. Claus even hosts a story time by the Christmas tree.
- There are loads of themed activities and crafts for kids to do each day of the sailing which include stocking decorating, creating holiday cards and even a holiday themed scavenger hunt.
- You won’t want to miss Mickey’s Wonderland Ball hosted by Santa and Mrs. Claus. You’ll enjoy characters, holiday tunes, and magical snowfall in the atrium.
- There’s a special deck party – Deck the Deck Tropical Holiday Party – which includes games, dancing, and of course, Mickey and pals!
**Magical Tripcations Travel Planner Tip: If you sailing earlier in the holiday season, make sure to take a family photo. We used ours in front of the Christmas Tree for our 2018 Holiday Greeting Card. It was quick and easy and made a perfect card to send out to our family and friends for the 2018 holiday season!
No matter which themed cruise you choose from, you can’t go wrong! Of course, each of these options always comes with what you expect from Disney Cruise Line and that’s superb service, food, and entertainment!
Whether you want a good theme or you just want to hop on board one of the Disney ships, one of our Magical Tripcations Travel Planners can assist you in selecting the cruise that’s right for you and your travel party. Contact us today!